Category Archives :

  • June 23, 2022

    What is the process for filing a fault based divorce?

    There are a number of steps to the process of filing a fault based divorce: A spouse obtains legal counsel who prepares and files a complaint. The complaint and a summons are served to the other spouse. The spouse now has up to 21 days to respond to the complaint. Each spouseâ€...

  • June 23, 2022

    What is separation and why is it important in a no fault divorce?

    According to Virginia law, separation occurs when a couple ceases to live together as husband and wife with the intent and purpose of divorcing. Typically, this occurs when one spouse moves out of the marital residence. However, in certain circumstances, it is possible for parties to live se...

  • June 23, 2022

    What is the difference between a “no fault grounds” and a “fault grounds” for divorce?

    No Fault: In a no fault divorce neither spouse has to prove that the other did wrongdoing, they just need to meet the mandatory separation period. For couples without minor children who have entered into separation agreements, this legal separation period is six months. For all other couples,...

  • June 23, 2022

    What is the residency requirement to file a divorce in Virginia?

    Either the husband or wife must have been a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia for six months prior to filing the complaint for divorce. Members of the armed forces who have been stationed in Virginia for a minimum of six months, or having resided in Virginia for six months prior to bei...

  • June 23, 2022

    My spouse and I have decided to divorce. What are our options?

    Each divorce, like each relationship, is unique. Some couples find they are able to end their marriage with very little court involvement. Other divorces are more complex, requiring more legal counsel and court oversight. No matter what your situation is, seeking legal advice from a qualified ...

Get in touch with us

Schedule a consultation with one of our experienced lawyers today by filling out the form below, or call us at (571) 328-5020.