Any legal issue relating to marriage, divorce, children, or families generally fits under the umbrella of “family law.” If you’re curious about what some common family law issues are, look no further than our best Fairfax family law attorney from Curran Moher Weis to assist with any questions you may have.
Understanding Family Law Issues
Family law focuses on issues relating to families, such as:
- Divorce – This is definitely a big part of the family law attorney’s job but not the entire job. Handling dissolutions of marriage, legal separations, and annulments is a part of family law.
- Marriage – Whether it’s a marital property dispute or a prenuptial agreement, Family law attorneys handle issues relating to the marital contract.
- Child Support – Along with divorce and marriage comes children, of course. Child support is the ongoing payments made by the parent the kids don’t live with to the parent they do live with.
- Alimony – Also known as “spousal maintenance,” alimony is a legally required payment made regularly for a set period of time from one spouse to the other for the purpose of financially supporting that person after divorce.
- Adoption – Whether it’s grandparents adopting a grandchild or strangers adopting a baby, family law attorneys handle all of the paperwork. Occasionally lawyers get involved in taking care of foster care placement legalities as well.
- Paternity – There is a legally established protocol for establishing the paternity of a child. Family law attorneys can with the paperwork and legal process to prove or disprove that a child is a man’s biological descendant.
- Emancipation – This is another legal process relating to children. When a minor is emancipated, the court has determined that the child may assume legal adult status under the law and is no longer under the care of their parents.
- Child Custody – Finally, family law attorneys help couples arrange for custody orders during the divorce.
Hiring a Family Law Attorney
If you’re experiencing one of these common family law issues, be sure to take your time interviewing a few family law attorneys before deciding what to hire. Here are some things to check:
- Do you share your cell phone number with your clients? What’s the best way to reach you (email, text, phone call)?
- Explain your fees. Will there be a retainer? What’s your hourly rate? Is a flat fee possible? May I see an example of what one of your itemized bills looks like? Are there any other fees I should be aware of? Are any of these fees negotiable?
- Will I be consulted before any decisions are made regarding my case?
- May I see a copy of your contract?
- How do you approach cases like mine? What’s your strategy?
- Can you introduce me to everyone who will be involved in working with me (paralegal, receptionist, law partner)?
- Will you personally handle my case from start to finish?
Contact a Fairfax Family Law Attorney Near You to Get Started
If you’re ready to move forward with your family law issue, don’t hesitate to contact our best Fairfax family law attorney from Curran Moher Weis today. Our team of family law pros has the experience, knowledge, and expertise to get your issue resolved in the most efficient manner possible as many families in Fairfax, and nearby.